Events » 12 Oct 11, ManagEnergy Workshop, Tartu, Estonia
Sustainable Energy Action Plans in Estonia
Regional Cooperation, Best Practices & Financing Options
12 October 2011
This ManagEnergy workshop focused on energy planning, the development and financing of Sustainable Energy Action Plans (SEAPs) in Estonia and particularly addressed the benefits of Sustainable Energy (SE) Planning, highlighting the best methodologies and practices from within Estonia and from other European countries.
Mr Marek Muiste, Director, Tartu Regional Energy Agency (TREA) presenting TREA’s experience in the Tartu region in front of a full room including ENNEREG Pioneer Regions
The ManagEnergy Workshop will was organised in association with Tartu Energy Agency and Kredex, and also synergised with Regions 202020 - Regions paving the way for a Sustainable Energy Europe.
The workshop sought to address a number of capacity constraints in Estonia, including:
- The lack of knowledge and capacity to organise Sustainable Energy Actions,
- The limited number of Sustainable Energy Action Plans (SEAPs) developed and implemented as well as the low motivation of others to join the CoM due to a lack of understanding of the initiative and its benefits,
- A lack of awareness of and capacity to make use of EU financing sources for energy investments and related low funding applications, and
- The limited in-house expertise and support of energy experts for municipalities, as well as the limited cooperation, sharing of experience and exchange of information between cities, towns and small municipalities.
The workshop addressed these capacity constraints by focusing on four key capacity building (CB) focal areas:
- Energy planning and SEAP development.
- Building understanding of what the Covenant of Mayors has to offer and its advantages for municipalities.
- Transmitting Good Practices in the areas of building renovations and street lightening with a focus on energy efficiency, the use of alternative sources of energy and new technologies.
- Financing for municipal SE Actions.
SEAP Development, County of Blekinge, Sweden
Presentation [EN] On 12 October 2012, Lisa Wälitalo and Hans Gulliksson from Energikontor Sydost, Sweden presented the state of SEAP (Sustainable Energy Action Plan) development in ENNEREG Pioneer Region, Blekinge, Sweden its ENNEREG Twin Region - Tartu, Estonia.
Experience from ELENA financing in Denmark - Public Energy Efficient Building Measures in Region Zealand
Presentation [EN] Presentation by Nils Daugaard, on behalf of the Danish ELENA initiative.
Kick-start of Fossil Fuel Free Växjö back in the 1990s
Presentation [EN] Presentation by Hans Gulliksson, Energy Agency for Southeast Sweden - October 13th 2011, Tartu, Estonia.
Energy plan for City of Växjö, draft 2011
Presentation [EN] Presentation of the SEAP for Växjö by Hans Gulliksson, Energy Agency for Southeast Sweden - October 13th 2011, Tartu, Estonia
Climate change and impact, ideas and background
Presentation [EN] Presentation by Hans Gulliksson, Energy Agency for Southeast Sweden - October 13th 2011, Tartu, Estonia
SEAP development experience from Kaunas, Lithuania
A presentation on the SEAP development experience from Kaunas, Lithuania presented by Mr. Feliksas Zinevičius, Director, Kaunas Regional Energy Agency during the joint ManagEnergy and Regions 202020 event in Tartu, Estonia on 12 October 2011.
ManagEnergy Workshops Programme - Estonia Workshop Conclusions
Conclusions [EN] It can be done! That was the inspirational message from the Mayor of Rakvere city, Mr Andres Jaadla, showing other Estonian municipalities how Rakvere’s political determination and “can-do” approach to creating a sustainable energy city has seen Rakvere become the country’s standard bearer in terms of financing and implementing sustainable energy projects from its Sustainable Energy Action Plan (SEAP).